Wednesday, January 3, 2018

How to use CrashPlan but not suffer from using so much RAM memory

How to use CrashPlan but not suffer from using so much RAM memory


I use CrashPlan to backup my data as mentioned in a previous article � it�s free for local backups and for sharing HDD space using multiple friends� HDD space.  I have noticed that the RAM usage goes up in proportion to the number of files that you have selected to backup � even during the time when the backups are disabled.  imageMy CrashPlan settings are set to backup only during the hours that I�m not working on my PC and when I�m connected to my home network (where my external HDD is connected).  I�m also not working at those times so when CrashPlan is accessing the HDD it doesn�t slow down my PC.
The settings to limit the time that CrashPlan does the backups can be found in the CrashPlan Desktop interface under �Settings->Backup->Between Specified Times�.  I have selected From 18:00 to 08:00 and ticked each day � so that backups only happen at night daily.
image
I noticed that even when the backup was disabled, the CrashPlanService was using a lot of RAM memory (over 500MB) � and I found my PC swapping to disc all the time � which was slowing my PC down � a bit of a waste!  So, I found a way to create a schedule that stopped the CrashPlanService just after 08h00 and start it again just before 18h00.

Creating a scheduled task to kill the service:
Open the �Control Panel->Administrative Tools-> Task Scheduler� 
Click into �Microsoft->Windows�: 
imageClick on �Create Task�:
imageEnter name: �Turn OFF CrashPlan service�, under �Triggers� tab:
imageUnder �Actions� tab: enter Program to run:  C:WindowsSystem32 askkill.exe
and under �Add arguments� enter:    /IM CrashPlanService.exe /F
imageClick OK to save the scheduled task.


Creating a scheduled task to start the service:
Click on �Create Task�:
imageEnter name: �Turn ON CrashPlan service�, under �Triggers� tab:
imageUnder �Actions� tab: enter Program to run:    C:WindowsSystem32 et.exe
and under �Add arguments� enter:    start CrashPlanService
image

Click OK to save the scheduled task.

Your tasks list should look like this:
image
You can test the tasks by right clicking the task and selecting �Run�:
image 

With thanks to Scott Granneman for his blog that describes the steps to do this in Linux.

visit link download